Washington's Prayers

While reading a small booklet entitled "What They Believed: The Faith of Washington, Jefferson, and Lincoln," (written and compiled by the late D. James Kennedy, Ph.D.), I noticed a segment entitled, "His (referring to Washington) Fervent Prayers."

Kennedy wrote:

Washington's prayers underscore his fervent evangelical faith. In one, Washington confesses his "heinous" sins.

O most Glorious God, in Jesus Christ my merciful and loving father, I acknowledge and confess my guilt, in the weak and imperfect performance of the duties of this day I have called on thee for pardon and forgiveness of sins, but so coldly and and carelessly, that my prayers are become my sins and stand in need of pardon...


His sin was what he perceived to be a lack of fervency in his own prayers.

Or note this prayer:

I have sinned against heaven and before thee, in thought, word, & deed; I have contemned thy majesty and holy laws. I have likewise sinned by omitting what I ought to have done, and committing what I ought not. I have rebelled against the light, despised thy mercies and judgments, and broken my vows and promises; I have neglected the means of Grace, and opportunities of becoming better; my iniquities are multiplied, and my sins are very great. I confess them, O Lord, with shame and sorrow, detestation and loathing, and desire to be vile in my own eyes, as I have rendered myself vile in thine. I humbly beseech thee to be merciful to me in the free pardon of my sins, for the sake of thy dear Son, my only saviour, J.C. [Jesus Christ], who came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance..."


How much more evangelical could any prayer be?

In another prayer, another "grievous" sin is confessed:

I have done thy work, yet it hath been so negligently that I may rather expect a curse than a blessing from thee. But, O God, who art rich in mercy and plenteous in redemption, mark not, I beseech thee, what I have done amiss; remember that I am but dust, and remit my transgressions, negligences & ignorances, and cover them all with the absolute obedience of thy dear Son..."


What was his sin? He had done the work of the Lord, but he had done it negligently, so much so that he asked God to forgive him for the Christian work he had done. Many today, if they do anything at all for God, are demanding some sort of reward from Him!

There are many more incredible prayers that came from Washington's pen, indicating the source, the wellspring of faith in the redemption that is in Jesus Christ, the sacrifice at Calvary, and the perfect righteousness of Christ with which he was clothed.