Phillies or Rays?

So...who are you rooting for in the World Series? For me, I usually enjoy choosing the underdog team. The Tampa Bay Rays, nick-named The Minimum Wage Rays in an article written by author Jay D. Homnick of The American Spectator, have earned their spot in the series through hard work, guts, determination and a never-give-up attitude.

As the article points out, the money given in salary to the Ray team players was probably one third the amount that the Phillie players earn.

Hmmm...sounds a lot like a certain presidential candidate. No, not "That One," the other candidate!

John McCain wisely stayed clear of publicly taking sides in this one. At least that's what I heard.

According to some news clips from Barack Obama's last two campaign stops, he is living up to the title given to him earlier in the campaign - both ways Barack!

Ha!

Apparently, he publicly gave his "love" and "support" to both teams. Reminds me of something... Oh yes! It's kinda like voting "present!" te he

As for me? This is a tough one. I REALLY want to cheer on the Rays. Like I said - I love the underdog. However, my husband and I have been invited to a wedding in early November. Guess who will be there? The parents of Phillie pitcher, Cole Hamels! It might make it difficult to meet and talk with them...if the Phillies don't win. Then again, when they ask me who I happened to be cheering for during the series I could just answer, "present!" But they may not get the joke. ;-)

In case you haven't clicked over to the link to read the article (which I enjoyed quite a bit!) I won't include any excerpts to spoil the fun.

However, I learned something new from the comment posted there:



Tim O'Neill 10.21.08 @ 9:48PM
Great for baseball & America. In recent years, the Marlins, Angels and Diamondbacks have all won the World Series as the least payroll team. In an era when major TV markets merge with teams to buy any player that looks hot, it's great to see small market teams win on guts and talent. It's also providential that the Devil Rays had the worst record last year, and dropped Satan as a sponsor. Go Rays!


Didn't even notice that the team had dropped the "Devil" name until I read that comment!

Looks like it turned out to be a good decision!

The American Spectator