Life Begins At Conception

Received a comment on a thread from last month which argued about whether or not certain verses I had shared (regarding the biblical view that life begins at the moment of conception) were appropriately used for that view.

Here is the comment:

UY wrote:


Peace!
I'm not a Christian, and thus do not take my position on abortion from the Bible.

With that caveat out of the way, I wanted to simply point out that the Biblical verses you reference don't mention point of conception, merely a vague reference to the 'womb'.

Consequently, those verses could easily be used to support permission for abortion only in the early weeks (before the foetus can kick, twins can struggle in the womb etc.)

September 23, 2008 5:41:00 AM PDT


The fact is that Scripture interprets Scripture. Using just one verse (or, even scattered verses) to make one's point may not be "in line" with what the whole of Scripture tells us. False teachers make that mistake all the time.

However, when it comes to the "life begins at conception" argument, an examination of such a concept through the utilization of several Scriptures DOES make the point for such a belief!

Since God knows the past, present and future, He knew each of us well before we were even born.

The prophecies in the Old Testament which pointed to the Messiah, his birth, his ministry, his rejection, his crucifixion, his death on the cross and resurrection from the dead were all fulfilled in Jesus Christ.

I'm sure that many readers here can add to the following response. Please feel free to do so!

Here is my answer to UY:

There are many Bible verses that reference the fact that God "knew" us before we were born while in the womb.

Job 31:15 Did not he that made me in the womb make him? and did not one fashion us in the womb?

Psa 71:6 By thee have I been holden up from the womb: thou art he that took me out of my mother's bowels: my praise [shall be] continually of thee.

Psa 127:3 Lo, children [are] an heritage of the LORD: [and] the fruit of the womb [is his] reward.

Psa 139:13 For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb.

Ecc 11:5 As thou knowest not what [is] the way of the spirit, [nor] how the bones [do grow] in the womb of her that is with child: even so thou knowest not the works of God who maketh all.

Isa 44:2 Thus saith the LORD that made thee, and formed thee from the womb, [which] will help thee; Fear not, O Jacob, my servant; and thou, Jesurun, whom I have chosen.

He knows our name before we are even born:

Isa 49:1 Listen, O isles, unto me; and hearken, ye people, from far; The LORD hath called me from the womb; from the bowels of my mother hath he made mention of my name.

Jer 1:5 Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, [and] I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.

Conception is mentioned here:

Hsa 9:11 [As for] Ephraim, their glory shall fly away like a bird, from the birth, and from the womb, and from the conception.

God even sent angelic messengers to tell of certain births and give the name of the child beforehand:

Luk 1:13 But the angel said unto him, Fear not, Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John.

Luk 1:14 And thou shalt have joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth.

Luk 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.

Luke 1:15 is describing John the Baptist. Note that he was filled with the Holy Ghost (Spirit) even from his mother's womb. This gives us a hint as to why the unborn infant John "leaped in Elisabeth's womb" when Mary, who was with child (Jesus) came near!

Luk 1:31 And, behold, thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS.

Luk 1:41 And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:

Luk 1:42 And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed [art] thou among women, and blessed [is] the fruit of thy womb.

Luk 1:44 For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.

Jesus' name was given before he was conceived in the womb:

Luk 2:21 And when eight days were accomplished for the circumcising of the child, his name was called JESUS, which was so named of the angel before he was conceived in the womb.

We also read the fact that believers in Jesus Christ are "called according to his purpose."

Rom 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to [his] purpose.

Notice what Paul says about his former self (as a persecutor of Christians) before he was converted on the Road to Damascus by Jesus Christ, Himself.

Galatians Chapter 1

Note these specific verses, too:

Gal 1:15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called [me] by his grace,


Gal 1:16 To reveal his Son in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I conferred not with flesh and blood:


Gal 1:17 Neither went I up to Jerusalem to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and returned again unto Damascus.


Gal 1:18 ¶ Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days.


Gal 1:19 But other of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.


Gal 1:20 Now the things which I write unto you, behold, before God, I lie not.


Gal 1:21 Afterwards I came into the regions of Syria and Cilicia;


Gal 1:22 And was unknown by face unto the churches of Judaea which were in Christ:


Gal 1:23 But they had heard only, That he which persecuted us in times past now preacheth the faith which once he destroyed.

September 23, 2008 8:28:00 AM PDT

*******
Please see an excellent post written by Bill Muehlenberg on the topic of abortion over at Culture Watch:

Morality, Reason and Abortion

Conclusion:

The facts on abortion are so clear, and the case against it so strong, that the pro-death crowd has to resort to twisted thinking, convoluted reasoning, and dodgy morality to try to make its case. But baby killing is still baby killing, no matter how it is dressed up or re-packaged.