NFL: Mike Singletary Fired from San Fransisco (blog)

In a move that could not have come as a surprise to anyone, the San Francisco 49ers have informed head coach Mike Singletary that he is fired, according to multiple Bay Area sources. Both Adam Schefter of ESPN and Jason La Canfora of the NFL Network confirmed today with team owner Jed York that the team would be hiring a new general manager after the end of the season, and that the new GM was likely going to be in charge of hiring a new head coach. However, it was expected by most that Singletary would finish out the season.
After the 49ers' 25-17 loss to the St. Louis Rams - a loss that featured Singletary going at it in a prolonged verbal altercation with quarterback Troy Smith(notes) on the sidelines - Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area reported that York, his father John, and other team executives met to decide whether Singletary should be fired immediately, or after the season. Later Sunday evening, Maiocco reported via Twitter that a decision had been made.


Mike Singletary was fired when 49ers returned to practice facility this evening, Jed York just told me. Jim Tomsula takes over as interim.less than a minute ago via txt
Singletary released this statement following his termination:
One of the greatest experiences of my life was having the opportunity to coach the San Francisco 49ers. What made it so special were the players. They were some of the most outstanding men I have ever been around in my life. The coaches were truly professionals. I wish the 49ers nothing but the best. I am thankful to the York family for having given me the opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL. I am indebted to them for that. I am also thankful for the faithful fans, I am just sorry I couldn't give them more."
Singletary's legacy as a head coach is a complicated one. Hired as an interim replacement to Mike Nolan halfway through the 2008 season, he helped the team finish 5-4, and was hired as the full-time head coach in December of that year. He was given a four-year, $10 million contract. The 49ers went 8-8 in 2009, and many experts expected more from the team in 2010..