Christians vs. Atheists in Discussions


In the comment section of this post I have been reading the continuing conversation between Ken McKnight and Gary Baker.

Some of the quips are quite humorous:

Gary asks Ken about:


"being the snarky idiot?"


Ken replies:


"Ta,ta, Gary. I hope you and your ego will be very happy together."


But then returns with:




"BTW Gary,

On at least two separate occasions I have complimented Christine on that very point.

It's not just liberals. I tried commenting on the Miss America controversy on the Alliance Defense Fund site. I was extremely polite, yet my comment was cut because I didn't parrot the party line."


Gary replies:




"I was expecting you to withdraw from the discussion. Generally happens to liberals of your intellectual caliber when repeatedly pressed for facts, evidence, and logic which neither their education nor mentality has prepared them for. I must confess disappointment however. You didn't even try to come up with reasonable replies, so I guess that makes you lazy as well as cowardly. Let me know when you grow a spine."


Of course, these are just small snippets of each comment. However, it brings to mind a question that I have had over the course of several years - both while running my discussion forum and this blog. Are deep, true, solid, non-biased, thoughtful, considerate, intelligent, polite, complimentary, uplifting, kind, inspiring, enthusiastic, acceptance of evangelizing attempts, and non-ridiculing discussions actually possible between atheists and Christians?

I have found that in rare moments, there are some areas of agreement. But oftentimes, the discussions are very confrontational.

Tonight, I was reading a comment written by GMPilot who was answering part of a comment written by Sothenes over at my Talk Wisdom forum and I found what he had written fascinating. Here is a copy of the brief discussion:


Quote:
Originally Posted by Sothenes

As far as fishing is concerned, imagine how the non-believer feels. He throws his hook into the water and doesn't catch anything. Does that mean there are no fish? Does he fish again because he lost faith in there being fish?


GMPilot:


You don't have to imagine how the non-believer feels, Sothenes; just ask one. It doesn't have to be me, but since I'm here...

I'm not trying to catch anything. It's only Christians like yourself that are seeking an ecclesiastic body count. Besides, the fish have been biting for nearly 2000 years. What sort of bait do you use? Fear of death? Awareness of their sin? Promise of eternal life? It would be interesting to know.

But every fisherman I know of has a story about 'the one that got away'. It checked out the lure, even nibbled at it; but once it was hooked, it fought with all its power to get off that hook, and win its life and freedom. Fishermen usually speak of that fish with grudging respect, because it wouldn't succumb to the trap.

Think of the non-believer as that sort of fish.


Take a look at their signature quotes:

Sothenes:


"If there were no God, there would be no Atheists."-GK Chesterton


GMPilot:


"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration--courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth." --H L Mencken

"The next time someone asks you if you're a god, say yes." --"Ghostbusters"


We can see why GMPilot thinks of Christian faith as "succumbing to a trap" because his signature quote states, "Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I (he) holds in veneration -- courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and above all, love of the truth."

So, how does one witness and attempt to evangelize someone with such an attitude?

Sothenes' signature quote combats GMPilot's view that "there is no God" with the quote: "If there were no God, there would be no Atheists."-GK Chesterton

Christian faith is courageous.

Christian faith is involved with clear thinking.

Christian faith is honest.

Christian faith is fairness.

Christian faith is, above all, the TRUTH!

However, a non-believer thinks that his "version" of "the truth" is completely opposite the Christian's view of truth.

So, this leads me to ask some questions:

1. Where do such conversations lead?
2. How do they usually end?
3. Are seeds of faith planted as a result?
4. Are seeds of doubt increased?
5. Can you think of more questions to add to this list?

As Christian believers who are involved with Jesus' Great Commission command to share the gospel with everyone we can, it is true that we may not know (this side of heaven) how many people we have positively influenced towards salvation in Christ.

I have found that skeptics/non-believers/atheists/agnostics sometimes tell me that my witnessing efforts have actually driven them further away from faith in Jesus Christ. They claim that my judgmental attitude and (fill in the blank!) have solidified their skepticism.

Should believers be concerned about this?

My opinion?

No.

The reason being that a non-believer is in no better (or worse) position in having heard the gospel shared in a perceived "wrong way" vs. not hearing the gospel at all.

Consider the fact that they were separated from God in the first place, so any additional negative influence does not change their destiny in eternity.

However, a seed planted (even if viewed as being planted poorly by the Christian evangelist according to the skeptic) could still sprout towards belief in Christ as a result in the future. This would change the destiny of the already condemned non-believer towards heaven.

Isaiah 57:15-21 NLT -

Isa 57:15 The high and lofty one who inhabits eternity, the Holy One, says this: "I live in that high and holy place with those whose spirits are contrite and humble. I refresh the humble and give new courage to those with repentant hearts.


Isa 57:16 For I will not fight against you forever; I will not always show my anger. If I did, all people would pass away--all the souls I have made.


Isa 57:17 I was angry and punished these greedy people. I withdrew myself from them, but they went right on sinning.


Isa 57:18 I have seen what they do, but I will heal them anyway! I will lead them and comfort those who mourn.


Isa 57:19 Then words of praise will be on their lips. May they have peace, both near and far, for I will heal them all," says the LORD.


Isa 57:20 "But those who still reject me are like the restless sea. It is never still but continually churns up mire and dirt.


Isa 57:21 There is no peace for the wicked," says my God.


Readers, what are your thoughts on this topic?