Knicks - Hawks - Last second Craziness and Fight (VIDEO)

ATLANTA — The Atlanta Hawks played like an Eastern Conference postseason contender in building a big early lead on the New York Knicks.

The Knicks then tried to show for the second straight night they also have plans for the postseason.

Joe Johnson scored 34 points and the Hawks turned back New York’s late comeback to beat the Knicks 111-102 on Friday night in a game marred by a late fight.

The Knicks were handed their fifth straight road loss, a day after delivering one of their best defensive efforts in a 93-88 home win over Miami on Thursday.

“They played a great game last night and we knew they would come in with a lot of confidence,” Johnson said.

Forward Marvin Williams, returning from a back injury, made his first start since Dec. 29 to give the Hawks their original starting five for the first time in almost a month. Williams may soon face an NBA suspension.

With 43.7 seconds remaining, Williams pushed New York’s Shawne Williams in the back, starting a brief altercation that led to each player being ejected and charged with fighting fouls.

Shawne Williams’ arms were flailing in the altercation, but he insisted he wasn’t throwing punches.

“I don’t know what happened, really,” said Shawne Williams. “I was basically protecting myself. I was coming across half-court. He bumped me, I bumped him, and he (hit) me in the back of the head. ... I wasn’t swinging at him, I was just trying to protect myself.”