Gimmie Dat Throwback - Kool & The Gang - Hollywood Swinging

Kool & the Gang are an American jazz, R&B, soul, funk and disco group, originally formed in Jersey City, New Jersey in 1964.



They went through several musical phases during the course of their recording career, starting out with a purist jazz sound, then becoming practitioners of R&B and funk, progressing to a smooth pop-funk ensemble, and in the post-millennium creating music with a modern, electro-pop sound.
They have sold over 70 million albums worldwide.

Hollywood Swinging" is a song by R&B/funk band Kool & the Gang from their album Wild and Peaceful. The song became their first number one R&B single, reaching that position in June, 1974. It proved to also be a successful crossover hit, peaking at number 6 on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. The song was written by Robert "Kool" Bell, Ronald Bell, George M. Brown, Robert Spike Mickens, Claydes E. Smith, Dennis R. Thomas & Rick A Westfield.



"Hollywood Swinging" appears on the Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas video game soundtrack, under Bounce FM radio station. The song appears in the films "Be Cool" (2005) and "Roll Bounce" (2005). The song also appeared on the television shows Lizzie Mcguire and Criminal Minds. Also appeared on the Bringing Back the Funk, Brian Culbertson's 2008 album. Played at Quicken Loans Arena during halftime at Cleveland Cavaliers home games.

LYRICS:

Hey, hey, hey
What ya got to say
Hey, hey, hey
What ya got to say

Hollywoooooooood
Hollywood swinging

Hollywoooooooood
Hollywood swinging

I remember
Not too long ago
I went to a theatre
And I saw the Kool and The Gang show
I always wanted
To fit into a band
To sing my songs
And become a bad piano playing man

So here I am
In this Hollywood city
The city of the stars
Movies, women and cars
Well I guess I
I guess I
Star

Hey, hey, hey
What ya got to say
Hey, hey, hey
What ya got to say

Hollywood swinging
Hollywood swinging
Hollywood swinging
Hollywood swinging