Marsha Ambrosius Speaks On Her Controversial Music Video

The music video for Marsha Ambrosius single Far Away has caused quite a stir in the urban community, which is known for its homophobic attitude. The story told in the footage, of a young black gay male who commits suicide after being attacked by a group of males in a park, is based on the experience of a close friend of Ambrosius’ and according to the singer she “wanted to tell the story that wouldn’t be told otherwise.”



“It would be easy for me to write a story about a relationship I was in my boyfriend at the time,” said Marsha during a recent interview.

“We’d be going through it -- fighting, back and forth -- and I’m standing in the rain with the big hair and the eyelashes -- that’s standard! That’s all been done before. But for me, I wanted to tell the story that wouldn’t be told otherwise.”

The former Floetry singer even revealed that she read and responded to some homophobic comments that were posted on various outlets in relation to the video.

“And for me, it was explaining that I’m not talking about what you think God believes. I’m making real music for real people and this was a real situation that not only my friend had gone through but others also,” she continued.”

“Whether it was negative or positive…people have opened that line of communication now. Because the end result is suicide -- the death of loved ones we care about. Gay, straight, black, white …whatever it may be. And I have to deal with me being the singer/songwriter of a song that was personal to me which is now so personal to so many people and I can hold that responsibility.”


yoraps.com